Fear for no peers!
Free English Dictionary
Definition of Tabernacle
- [n.] - A slightly built or temporary habitation; especially, a tent.
- [n.] - A portable structure of wooden framework covered with curtains, which was carried through the wilderness in the Israelitish exodus, as a place of sacrifice and worship.
- [n.] - Hence, the Jewish temple; sometimes, any other place for worship.
- [n.] - Figuratively: The human body, as the temporary abode of the soul.
- [n.] - Any small cell, or like place, in which some holy or precious things was deposited or kept.
- [n.] - The ornamental receptacle for the pyx, or for the consecrated elements, whether a part of a building or movable.
- [n.] - A niche for the image of a saint, or for any sacred painting or sculpture.
- [n.] - Hence, a work of art of sacred subject, having a partially architectural character, as a solid frame resting on a bracket, or the like.
- [n.] - A tryptich for sacred imagery.
- [n.] - A seat or stall in a choir, with its canopy.
- [n.] - A boxlike step for a mast with the after side open, so that the mast can be lowered to pass under bridges, etc.
- [v. i.] - To dwell or reside for a time; to be temporary housed.