Fear for no peers!
Free English Dictionary
Definition of Tabby
- [n.] - A kind of waved silk, usually called watered silk, manufactured like taffeta, but thicker and stronger. The watering is given to it by calendering.
- [n.] - A mixture of lime with shells, gravel, or stones, in equal proportions, with an equal proportion of water. When dry, this becomes as hard as rock.
- [n.] - A brindled cat; hence, popularly, any cat.
- [n.] - An old maid or gossip.
- [a.] - Having a wavy or watered appearance; as, a tabby waistcoat.
- [a.] - Brindled; diversified in color; as, a tabby cat.
- [v. t.] - To water; to cause to look wavy, by the process of calendering; to calender; as, to tabby silk, mohair, ribbon, etc.