Fear for no peers!
Free English Dictionary
Definition of Gage
- [n.] - A pledge or pawn; something laid down or given as a security for the performance of some act by the person depositing it, and forfeited by nonperformance; security.
- [n.] - A glove, cap, or the like, cast on the ground as a challenge to combat, and to be taken up by the accepter of the challenge; a challenge; a defiance.
- [n.] - A variety of plum; as, the greengage; also, the blue gage, frost gage, golden gage, etc., having more or less likeness to the greengage. See Greengage.
- [n.] - To give or deposit as a pledge or security for some act; to wage or wager; to pawn or pledge.
- [n.] - To bind by pledge, or security; to engage.
- [n.] - A measure or standard. See Gauge, n.
- [v. t.] - To measure. See Gauge, v. t.
-  - A wedge with a graduated edge, to measure the width of a space into which it is thrust.